Bethany L. Goldblum, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2007
M.Sc., Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2005
B.S., Chemistry, Fort Lewis College, 2002
B.A., Mathematics, Fort Lewis College, 2002
Bethany L. Goldblum is a member of the research faculty in the Department of Nuclear Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, and the Founder and Director of the Nuclear Policy Working Group, an interdisciplinary team of undergraduate and graduate students focused on developing policy solutions to strengthen global nuclear security. She also serves as Scientific Director of the Nuclear Science and Security Consortium, a $25M grant established by the National Nuclear Security Administration to train the next generation of nuclear security experts, and Director of the 2014 Public Policy and Nuclear Threats Bootcamp. Goldblum received a Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 2007. She held a Clare Boothe Luce Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowship at Berkeley before joining the nuclear engineering faculty at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville in August 2010. In January 2012, she returned to Berkeley as a member of the research faculty. Her research interests are in the areas of fundamental nuclear physics for nuclear security applications, nuclear-plasma interactions, scintillator characterization, and nuclear energy and weapons policy. Goldblum maintains active collaborations with the United States Department of Energy national laboratories and is an affiliate at Lawrence Berkeley, Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratory.
- Project on Nuclear Issues Mid-Career Cadre (2016)
- American Physical Society Woman Physicist of the Month Award (2014)
- Clare Boothe Luce Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship, UC Berkeley (2008)
- B.H. Daub, D.L. Bleuel, M. Wiedeking, L.A. Bernstein, N.M. Brickner, J.A. Brown, B.L. Goldblum, K.S. Holliday, J. Lundgren, and K. Moody, “Neutron transfer in the 13C + 197Au reaction from gold isotope residuals,” Phys. Rev. C 95, 024602 (2017).
- B.V. Kheswa, M. Wiedeking, J.A. Brown, A.C. Larsen, S. Goriely, M. Guttormsen, F.L. Bello Garrote, L.A. Bernstein, D.L. Bleuel, T.K. Eriksen, F. Giacoppo, A. Gorgen, B.L. Goldblum, T.W. Hagen, P.E. Koehler, M. Klintefjord, K.L Malatji, J.E. Mitbo, H.T. Nyhus, P. Papka, T. Renstrom, S.J. Rose, E. Sahin, S. Siem, and T.G. Tornyi, “137,138,139La(n,γ) cross sections constrained with statistical decay properties of 138,139,140La nuclei,” Phys. Rev. C 95, 045805 (2017).
- C.L. Stork, C.C. Ummel, D.S. Stuart, S. Bodily, and B.L. Goldblum, “Dynamic Analysis Environment for Nuclear Forensic Analyses,” Computer Physics Communications 210, 60 (2016).
- A. Ratkiewicz, L. Berzak Hopkins, D.L. Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, K. van Bibber, W.S. Cassata, B.L. Goldblum, S. Siem, C.A. Velsko, M. Wiedeking, and C.B. Yeamans, “A recoverable gas-cell diagnostic for the National Ignition Facility,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 87, 11D825 (2016).
- D.L Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, C.A. Brand, W.S. Cassata, B.H. Daub, L.S. Dauffy, B.L. Goldblum, J.M. Hall, C.A. Hagmann, L.B. Hopkins, H.Y. Khater, A.L. Kritcher, D.H.G. Schneider, S. Siem, C.A. Velsko and M. Wiedeking, “Method for Detection of Nuclear-Plasma Interactions in a 134Xe-Doped Exploding Pusher at the National Ignition Facility,” J. Plasma Fusion Res. 11, 3401075 (2016).
- M. Wiedeking, M. Krtička, L. A. Bernstein, J. M. Allmond, M. S. Basunia, D. L. Bleuel, J. T. Burke, B. H. Daub, P. Fallon, R. B. Firestone, B. L. Goldblum, R. Hatarik, P. T. Lake, A. C. Larsen, I-Y. Lee, S. R. Lesher, S. Paschalis, M. Petri, L. Phair, N. D. Scielzo, and A. Volya, “Gamma-ray decay from neutron-bound and unbound states in 95Mo and a novel technique for spin determination,” Phys. Rev. C 93, 024303 (2016).
- T.A. Laplace, F. Zeiser, M. Guttormsen, A.C. Larsen, D.L. Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, B.L. Goldblum, S. Siem, F.L. Bello Garotte, J.A. Brown, L. Crespo Campo, T.K. Eriksen, F. Giacoppo, A. Görgen, K. Hadyńska-Kleęk, R.A. Henderson, M. Klintefjord, M. Lebois, T. Renstrøm, S.J. Rose, E. Sahin, T.G. Tornyi, G.M. Tveten, A. Voinov, M. Wiedeking, J.N. Wilson, and W. Younes, “Statistical properties of 243Pu and 242Pu(n,γ) cross section calculation,” Phys. Rev. C 93, 014323 (2016).
- N. Egel, B.L. Goldblum, and E. Suzuki, A Novel Framework for Safeguarding Naval Nuclear Material,” The Nonproliferation Review 22, 239 (2015).